Wednesday, December 17, 2014

My Story, Part One: Anne Girl Meets Simon

I suppose I should first start by describing myself. I am a hopeless romantic. My childhood was filled with a love for musicals, plays, books, drama and an obsession for Anne of Green Gables. I simply adored her. She was fiery and determined and theatrical and that silly schoolboy, Gilbert Blythe, just adored her. 

That's something I always wanted: to be adored, sought after, dreamed of, pursued, loved. I wanted my own Gil. 

But dating was oh so awkward for me! I just didn't like it. There were quite a few boys who wanted to date me, and I pretty much just ran from them. Or hid from them. Like literally hid. There was really only one boy I ever really liked, and I likes him for years. Then I turned 16 and suddenly I became his girlfriend and I freaked out!! I couldn't handle it. Holding hands at lunch was just way too much pressure for me. I'm serious. I didn't like it. 

So honestly, I just didn't date guys. Sure, I went on dates for fun but I never felt comfortable and they never really went anywhere. Honestly, I really just wanted to find "the one." That's all I wanted. I wanted my Gilbert Blythe. I wasn't interested in anybody but that perfect guy for me. 

Flash forward to BYU-Idaho. I was a sophomore and thinking about serving a mission. I really wanted to go and secretly hoped I'd be sent to Prince Edward Island. It would be a dream come true!

One evening, as I sat with my roommates, the phone rang. It was for me. And it was a boy named Simon. Simon? Who's Simon? I thought. I answered the phone, I small talked, all the while pretending I knew who he was, because he obviously knew me! And he asked me out on a date. I was so flattered and it was all so mysterious and romantic. I said yes without even knowing who this guy was and what he looked like. 

When I hung up, I ran to look through our ward menu (aka photo directory) and found Simon. And he was dang good-looking! I was beaming. 

He picked me up a few nights later and we walked to campus to go country dancing ( later Simon told me he absolutely hates country music and dancing but thought it was a good way to break the touch barrier and dissolve the awkwardness of a first date. Sly little fella.) I was in awe of him. I loved how he dressed, how he talked, how he smiled. I loved the curls in his hair and the freckles on his skin. He was so kind and gentle and fun and gentlemanly. And I felt comfortable. 

We danced and held hands and laughed and talked. I still remember dancing close to him, following our instructors, and breathing in the scent of his cologne. With every moment that passed I was more and more enamored with him. 

I felt like the luckiest girl in the world. We saw each other every. single. day. after that. I had finally found my Gilbert! Being in love was magical and new and he treated me like a queen. I loved him and adored him and couldn't wait to marry him. I felt complete. 

We dated for about 5 months-mostly long distance over the phone. I traveled to meet his family back east and he came to meet mine in California. Simon proposed to me, I said yes!, and five months later we were married for time and all eternity in the Los Angeles Temple. It was the happiest day of my life. 

3 comments:

  1. i married in LA. it will always be my temple. can't wait to head there to see my parents for the holidays! i love your story, so sweet. and why is dating so awkward? i never dated, ever. okay, maybe 3 dates in my whole life compared to finding my husband. and then we saw each other every day after that too.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sound so similar!! And yes, the LA temple is simply amazing. My favorite of course!!

      Delete
  2. For whatever reason, I hadn't found your blog before. Whenever you commented on mine, it wouldn't let me view your profile to see if you have a blog. I'm so happy I found it!

    This story is so sweet... Sometimes it kills me to reflect back on dating and early marriage when all was happy and blissful. It's like another life. I don't know if you feel that way, but if you do, I certainly can relate. I just read your most recent post, and I'm so glad the sweetness is returning. I bet it's an amazing feeling for you!

    ReplyDelete